From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2012 19:19:28 -0400
On May 7, 2012, at 4:07 PM, Bill Crews wrote:

> I agree with the macro statement of the effect of mechanization on agriculture, but it begs the question of why slaves could not have operated agricultural equipment
It was widely assumed in the early part of the 20th century that blacks were incapable of using farm equipment. My father pioneered the use of mega-equipment in the 1940's to 1970 in order to produce his crops and with one hired hand, and did so. The hired hand was a black man whom my father paid the same wage as a white man, whereas the norm was to pay a black man half the white wages. John Crawley performed at the same or superior rate as former white farmhands and ran tractors, grain elevators, trucks and all of the farm equipment that my father needed. My father checked on him to see that he was following his instructions about speed and when satisfied that John was doing so, that was that. I rather suspect it was a lack of education, to put it politely, that fostered that viewpoint. Management skills do not come automatically with the job!!

> or, as the book referred to by Mr. Wiencek points out, worked in factories as a more economically efficient work force than paid labor.
Agreed, but after the Civil War, those jobs disappeared for black workers or am I mistaken? The insidious Jim Crow laws moved to the forefront. Black folks moved out in various migrations to what is now the rust belt but which was then boomtown for people with skills and for opportunities not otherwise available. But economic efficiency as phrased here only works when you have a suppressed market.

Lyle Browning