From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2019 13:18:19 -0500
AMERICAN REVOLUTION ROUND TABLE of RICHMOND

You’ve certainly heard and read much about the British soldier.  But how about the British women?  On March 20, please join us to hear Jenna Schnitzer present "Sober and Industrious Women: Soldiers' Wives in the British Army."  You’ll really enjoy Jenna’s tale about these ladies.  Meetings are held in the Westhampton Room, Heilman Dining Center (dining hall--building 34 on the campus map), University of Richmond, at 6:30 p.m. with dinner available for purchase beginning at 5:30 p.m.  Check here for maps and directions.  http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/

Our new “Revolutionary Richmond” brochure has been printed and is now being distributed to various visitors centers and historical sites throughout the city.  Many thanks to Cheryl and Dave Childress, who matched ARRT-Richmond funds to print the first thousand.  Please thank them in person.  Copies will be available for members at the meeting.  We’re now seeking funding for a second printing.  Donations and potential sources will be much appreciated.

Mark your calendar for our next field trip on Saturday, October 12.  Patrick Hannum will be leading us on a Norfolk – Great Bridge tour, the late 1775 campaign against Lord Dunmore.  Pat is a retired Marine lieutenant colonel and a faculty member at the Joint and Combined Warfighting School and has written on these actions.  We’ll be visiting the new, yet unopened, Great Bridge Battlefield Visitors Center and other sites.  More details will follow.

Revolutionary buttons and bones - https://wnyt.com/news/bones-of-10-12-people-and-pewter-buttons-found-at-lake-george-construction-site-have-archaeologists-and-historians-thinking-revolutionary-war-soldiers/5245558/  and https://poststar.com/news/local/more-remains-buttons-at-construction-site-may-date-from-revolutionary/article_d68ddfca-8d23-5024-80d4-85edabd0ae0f.html

Save your hair clippings for when you become famous.  Washington’s hair - https://nypost.com/2019/02/04/lock-of-george-washingtons-hair-from-alexander-hamiltons-family-sells-at-auction-for-35k/  Thanks, Bruce.

The only revolutionary engagement in Delaware was at Cooch’s Bridge, a very much overlooked action and site.  Here’s current information, thanks to John Maass.  The Cooch family kindly hosted those attending the Second Congress of ARRTs in 2012.  https://whyy.org/articles/site-of-delawares-only-revolutionary-war-battle-to-be-preserved/

Although a bit old, here’s a piece about a newly discovered Valley Forge map.  While I disagree, slightly, with their conclusion, it’s an interesting story.  http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/video/2285042567//

See you on March 20.

Bill

---
https://www.avg.com