Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2007 17:53:15 -0500
Paul,

With the Muslim slave trade occurring over 14 centuries, and considering the
ultra-low survival rate of slave transportation from East Africa to the
Middle-East, the castration of most male slaves and murder of slaves'
newborns, I'm wondering how slaves and their children were 'incorporated
into society' in any meaningful number when slave-descendants are apparently
scant in the Middle-East.  I won't be visiting the Middle-East and can't
imagine how I would be able to see for myself how this was accomplished over
such a long timespan.  Can you tell me what timeframe of the 14 centuries
you are addressing and a little more detail as to how I could readily see
this in today's light?  I must admit I was being facetious when I wrote the
parenthetical remark while thinking of another's recent posting.  I do know
that a few eunuchs who rose to high government or military positions were
apparently highly respected.

Thanks for any help toward better understanding of the Muslim slave trade
that existed alongside the Trans-Atlantic trade to the Americas including
Virginia, and how they contrasted while having a common African origin.

Neil McDonald