From:
John Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 16:47:24 -0000
Since the discussion is about a commander emancipating American slaves
during a conflict, I recognise  something of a parallel in an aspect of the
War of 1812 that I have been working on for a few years - some members of
this list have been helpful in my study of the four thousand who took their
freedom in the course of that war. When Vice-Admiral Sir Alexander Cochrane,
as incoming Commander in Chief on the Atlantic Station, issued his famous
proclamation on 2 April 1814, offering land and liberty to "all those who
may be disposed to emigrate from the United States" he did so to aid his
prosecution of the war, but at the same time appears to have believed he was
going beyond his authority. My reading of the correspondence suggests he was
within the bounds of his instructions, but he believed (rightly) that his
actions would upset a few people in the government. In the end, the refugees
had their freedom, and, by the Russian emperor's arbitration on the point,
their ex-masters had their compensation (though a British member of
parliament, and, I suspect, one or two Americans, thought it was the
ex-slaves who needed compensation). Somewhat distant in time, maybe, and two
completely disparate characters, but I was struck by the similarity of
Cochrane and Lincoln both apparently believing their emanciparory actions
were outside their legal powers.

John Weiss
Independent Scholar, London
See the history links at