From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 17:46:52 -0500
Neil and All,

    I have assumed for some time that we are having our legs pulled by Mr.
Forest.  Still, this discussion is a useful exercise because we have been
trying to figure out what is the American character as it crosses racial
lines;  which is a variant of what is human nature everywhere and always.
Frederick Douglass said over 160 years ago:  "If you have a cruel master you
want a kind master but if you have a kind master then you want to be your
own master."
    The Bible says "man does not live by bread alone."  If our ideals were
entirely material, then kind treatment in slavery might be sufficient.  But
then if that were the case, we would not be talking on this listserve since
it doesn't put bread on the table.
    Ultimately, Neil you are right:  some conclusions simply don't require
much discussion.

best,

Harold S. Forsythe