From:
Kevin Joel Berland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2007 13:07:43 -0500
Why don't we "admit" that if we taught X we'd not be allowed to teach?  Because
"admitting" entails factuality.  It just ain't so.  At most public
institutions, the teaching of controversial matters is protected under rules
establishing academic freedom.  If I were to teach "materials that suggested
that Black slaves might have been happy under slavery," it would be my students
who would complain.  And they would be right to complain, since the available
materials do not support such a contention.  If we don't teach this, it's not
because a particular line of thought would draw the ire of authorities, but
because we are convinced the evidence shows otherwise.  Nobody would take
measures to remove me from the classroom.

Cheers -- KJB (the other Kevin)

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 12:32:46 -0500  Discussion of research and writing about
Virginia history