From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 2009 11:00:56 -0500
I once spent about five hours in the local library in Shenandoah County, where I stopped first to see what microfilms they had.   They had excellent abstract resources, and also microfilms of many original court records.   After having had experiences like yours, I tend to check out the local libraries' resources online ahead of time, where there are email addresses for questions.  In the library, often dealing with abstract books and indexes, often not found in the courthouses, that are easy to use as a guide than the big court books. Another factor is the cost of microfilm printing and copying in general.   Courthouses' main "customers" are people like title researchers, lawyers, etc.   They charge more as a rule than local libraries, whose "customers" are families, children, etc.   Regarding the Library of Virginia, their charge for printing from microfilms is also quite steep.   I'd recommend that you try your local Family History Center, if you are close to a Mormon Church that has one.

FYI, the hours I spent at the local library in Shenandoah, I was looking, unsuccessfully in the end, for a connection with any Williams family that might have migrated to Cocke Co TN in the late 1790s, where mine lived with several from Shenandoah County VA (and Culpeper and Botetourt) in the early 1800s.   One day I'm going to find them!

Good Luck.

Janet (Baugh) Hunter

I am new to this list so please forgive me of my ignorance.
 just made a 400 mile trip to the Shenandoah Co. courthouse and found I was
nable to copy records as they are on MF at the Library of Virginia.  Hard
esson learned (research the research center before making such a trip).  I
as able to get deed book/page #, will book/page #, marriage record book/#
or 3 different individuals.  After reading the forms I find that it will
ost in excess of $200 to get a copy of the MF copy sent to me.  I was told
he ILL is available.  Is it available to out-of-state individuals?

.