From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Dec 2007 07:48:55 -0500
Randy, since the Newberry has a seminar in family history (and brings
scholars from all over the nation and the world there) and has a great
collection for such material, it would surely be a good place to do this
kind of research.  But instead of taking shots an at institution that
you have never been to (and apparently know little about) maybe someone
who is serious about these issues should do some research. It would be
reasonably simple to take the entering class (or better the graduating
class) of a few southern colleges and universities, for a few years, and
see what the social class was of those who graduated.  Mostly they would
have been members of the elite; the children of the wealthy.  That was
always been true in the United States, north and south, at least until
WWII.  The planter class probably exaggerates the issue; since we know
that sons of ministers, etc. went to college sometime.  But we also know
most people could not afford to take the time and spend the money on
college.

Paul Finkelman
President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law
     and Public Policy
Albany Law School
80 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, New York   12208-3494

518-445-3386
>>> Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]> 12/15/07 7:13 AM >>>
My Great Grandfather, Hugh Holmes McGuire was the son of Dr. McGuire and
Ann
Eliz Moss McGuire and grew up in Winchester.  He attended Washington
University (later W&L) though he did not graduate.

Sewanne was established in Sewanee, TN to educate ministers.

I don't think Edgar Allen Poe, who attended the University of Virginia,
was
from the Planter Class, unless you expand the definition of "Planter
Class"
to ALL white folks who were not sharecroppers and/or chopped cotton.

It appears to me that the statement about the colleges being exclusively
for
the Plantation Class must come from the same ilk at those lordly New
Englanders who claim they have the first Thanksgiving.

To resolve this, I suggest you call upon the panel of good folks at
Newberry
since that group seems to be regarded as a (the?) voice of authority on
such
matters.  :)))))))

Randy Cabell