From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:33:46 -0400
Dale,

Thank you very much for this link. I am glad to learn of the CW 150 Legacy Project. I have some material that may be of interest to you. You mention scouring the state of Virginia for material. You might consider scouring outside of Virginia. For example, a great uncle who served in the 4th Virginia Calvary. After the war he and two of his brothers (yes, a real three brothers story) moved to St. Louis. He then later to moved to Tennessee where he applied for (and received) a pension. The pension files give a great level of detail about his unit and especially the surrender--which he refused to attend. He still had his horse and he managed to use it to quietly slip away.

Perhaps footnote.com will be a good source for these far-flung types of records.  I didn't obtain this information from that site, but it might turn out to be a good resource.

Speaking of St. Louis, and Missouri in general, after the war that was a popular destination for Virginians to move considering the federal occupation and devastation of the Old Dominion. It was a very "Confederate friendly" state, despite its own problems during the war which can best be described as schizophrenic.

I know your focus is on Virginia, but just wanted you to think "outside the box" a little on other sources of material.

Best,
Craig Kilby