From:
Harris Kern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2007 15:12:23 -0500
Having only the usual school boy set of information about Lafayette and his role in the American Revolution, I was pleased when I received a copy of  For Liberty and Glory , a book addressing the relationship between Washington and Lafayette and Lafayette's role in the American Revolution.

As with most history books, I expect to be offered both dry facts and for the author to offer an interpretation of those facts. I expect the facts to that, facts, and I expect the author and the editors/publishers to get them right. For example, to say that Washington drove to Boston in his Ford, is not a fact. Can't be, don't put it in the book. The interpretation of Washington going to Boston may not change, but how can I have any trust in anything in the book if the facts are wrong.

Now, I'm reading along and I'm a little put off by some sloppy editing, but nothing to really get upset with the author or the editor about, and then, on page 144, I read this:

"Lafayette was dressing for dinner when the aide rushed into their room to get his revolver..."

Any author writing about anything even close to the military events of the latter half of the 18th century should know that there were no revolvers. There might have been some one-off creations earlier and I have handled a handgun that had a set of revolving barrels (think mini-gun), but Colt's patent was in 1836. If, in fact, the aide was getting his revolver, then it in itself is of such note a description of the weapon would have been in order. There is none.

Is this such a fatal flaw that the entire book is now untrustworthy? I have a fair amount of knowledge concerning American history, and can usually spot bad facts, but if I knew all the facts, I would not still be seeking out additional books to read on the subject, but can I trust the interpretations in this book? They are based on the facts presented and at least one  fact is really wrong. And really simple to have known about if the author had a clue about the subject matter. What other facts are wrong and which of them will I not know are wrong because they are new to me? And does it really matter if Washington drove his Ford, or traveled in his coach to Boston, as long as he got there and took command of the army?

Harris Kern