From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 18:10:00 -0400
Contrary to popular opinion signing statements are not something
developed by the present incumbent of the oval office. A Congressional
Research Service report issued on September 17, 2007 (http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/RL33667.pdf
) stated the following:

While the history of
presidential issuance of signing statements dates to the early 19th
century, the practice
has become the source of significant controversy in the modern era as
Presidents
have increasingly employed the statements to assert constitutional and
legal
objections to congressional enactments. President Reagan initiated
this practice in
earnest, transforming the signing statement into a mechanism for the
assertion of
presidential authority and intent. President Reagan issued 250 signing
statements, 86
of which (34%) contained provisions objecting to one or more of the
statutory
provisions signed into law. President George H. W. Bush continued this
practice,
issuing 228 signing statements, 107 of which (47%) raised objections.
President
Clinton’s conception of presidential power proved to be largely
consonant with that
of the preceding two administrations. In turn, President Clinton made
aggressive use
of the signing statement, issuing 381 statements, 70 of which (18%)
raised
constitutional or legal objections. President George W. Bush has
continued this
practice, issuing 152 signing statements, 118 of which (78%) contain
some type of
challenge or objection. The significant rise in the proportion of
constitutional
objections made by President Bush is compounded by the fact that these
statements
are typified by multiple objections, resulting in more than 1,000
challenges to distinct
provisions of law.