Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2009 20:36:27 -0500
My copy of the Code of 1860 refers (ch. LXV, §4; 1852, c. 149) to
cemeteries.

4.  "At any time hereafter five or more persons, who shall be desirous to
form a company for the purpose of ... the establishment of ... cemetery ...
companies, ...may make, sign and acknowledge, before the circuit court of
the county in which the operations of the company are proposed to be
conducted, a certificate in writing, in which shall be stated the name of
the company, and the object for which it is formed ...the amount of land
proposed to be held ... the officers who for the first year shall manage its
concerns; and the place in which the operations of said company are to be
carried on.  The said court in its discretion may grant or refuse to said
persons the charter of incorporation.  If the said court grants the same,
then the said company shall also file with the secretary of the commonwealth
a copy of such certificate, attested by the clerk of the circuit court ..."

5. [upon filing, the persons signing the certificate are "a body politic and
corporate, by the name stated in such certificate" and are governed by the
general corporate law

6.  "The officers and directors of any such company, after the first year,
shall be such as may prescribed by its by-laws, and shall be appointed or
removed, as the said by-laws may provide."

7.  [cemetery company may not hold more than 30 acres]

8.  [implies power to encumber]

9.  [books subject to review by general assembly]

This statute does NOT pertain to churches, but includes both for-profit and
non-profit, stock and non-stock  --  telegraph companies, water companies,
gas light companies, hotels, as well as orphan asylums, hospitals,
acadamies, libraries, literary and building associations; but excludes
banks, insurance and roads.

The constitution of 1852 prohibited the incorporation of churches.  Art. IV,
Sec. 32.