Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:40:04 -0500
This story is interesting to me because of something that happened here, in
York County, back in the early 1990's.
There was a very nice, hard-working man (who happened to be an African-
American) whose family had long acquired some land that was no where near
any water but still considered "wetlands".
When he prepared to give some parcels of that land to his children so that
they could build houses near the house that they had grown up in the
environmentalists (local and federal) informed him that his children would
never be allowed to build on that land as it was "non-tidal wetlands". The
old fellow fought the powers that be as best he could and finally gave up.
So he went down to the courthouse and had his land declared valueless so
that he could stop pay ever growing, exorbitant taxes on the land which was
quite valuable.
The worst part of the story is that a few years after that ,VDOT condemned
his land so the road could be expanded and he received nothing for the
condemnation suit because, after all, the land was worthless.
This is a true story. My husband was on the Board of Supervisors and did his
best to help this fine, old gentleman but nothing worked. So much for the
working out of justice.

the land, especially near the water was becoming very