From:
Lisa Francavilla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:43:36 -0500
You're absolutely right about the time period in which William Waller
Hening compiled "The Statutes at Large; being a Collection of all the
Laws of Virginia," (Richmond, 1809-23), tho his work on the series began
in the mid-1790s. Hening gathered the commonwealth's laws, spanning the
years 1619 to 1792, and printed them in 13 volumes.  For this work,
Hening relied heavily on the legal records and texts gathered by Thomas
Jefferson, as well as TJ's memories of his early legal career. The two
men exchanged more than 50 letters, many of which contain their
discussion of the preparation of this massive work.  Most of these
letters can be viewed by accessing the Library of Congress's collection
of Jefferson papers, and their texts support the following...

Hening's primary purpose was to provide ready access to the
commonwealth's legal traditions in one source, and given the emphasis,
particularly in the 1790s, on creating an American (Virginian) identity,
it could be possible that Hening (and undoubtedly TJ) saw this huge
undertaking as a way to 'create' an American (Virginian) legal identity
to replace the English one (even though, as has been pointed out, the
sources were almost exclusively English).  Obviously, we cannot deny
that the commonwealth's earliest laws were influenced by the Anglican
Church, but certainly not exclusively, and we definitely should not
think of the "Statutes" as having been specifically compiled for the
purpose of codifying church precedent and 'law.'

L. Francavilla
Papers of Thomas Jefferson: Retirement Series
Charlottesville, VA