From:
David Oakes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2007 07:54:42 -0700
On 7/3/07 4:03 PM, "John Philip Adams" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> All of you are going to be amazed to find out how so many of us with an old,
> pre 1700, Virginia backgrounds are related to each other. The Caucasian,
> African, and Native American families are possibly related to each other as
> close as 3rd cousins to 5th cousins.

This inter-relatedness of colonial populations has been one of the most
fascinating things I've come across in my genealogical research! And, also
how much mixed ancestry there really is in many of us!

In my own research, Iıve found hints of NA, not really provable, just family
tradition in another part of the family, but in retrospect, it makes sense.

Iıve also found so many odd coincidences. Like my husbandıs families are
from the very same area that a large part of my family was from, though no
blood relationship between us, so far.

One set of my grandparents both have 3rd great grandfathers who were on
opposite sides of the revolution. My grandfatherıs 3rd great grandfather was
a known tory loyalist & leader in that community, in the ³Hollows² of whatıs
now Patrick Co.. My grandmotherıs 3rd great grandfather was the County
Lieutenant who ordered militia troops stationed on the other guyıs farm, to
keep an eye on those bad tories, & possibly ordered the farm confiscated. I
think itıs so funny & crazy that these two men, who were truly fighting each
other, had 2 descendants who married all those many years later, and many
miles from VA.

> It is hard to bash people for their opinions when you consider so many of us
> are related to each other.

I agree, it should to be much harder to bash, or hate, people to whom you
are related, even if if itıs a distant relationship.

Thanks to all on the list for the many enlightening discussions, even if
they do get a little overheated sometimes.

C.Etter - related to those darn Hairstons & to people like Harriet Beecher
Stowe!