From:
"Wilson, Donald L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2018 18:56:26 +0000
EXPLORE RELIC

November 2018 - The Ruth E. Lloyd Information Center for Genealogy and Local History (RELIC)

Start your historical journey here. RELIC's email newsletter highlights upcoming free events and happenings. Genealogy and local Virginia history is our specialty as a service provided by the Prince William Public Library. We're located at Bull Run Regional Library and you can always find more about us at www.pwcgov.org/library/relic<http://www.pwcgov.org/library/relic>.

Elections in Prince William County
Prince William County has been involved with elections for over two hundred years.  Kim Brace, a statistician and historian, will describe how elections have evolved over time in our local jurisdiction.
Register at 703-792-4540 or [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Thursday, November 1, 11:00 a.m.

Genealogy 101: Getting Started
Discovering your family's history is both fun and rewarding. RELIC's Darlene Hunter will demonstrate the essential first steps to take and resources to use - most of which are available for free through the library - to ensure that your research is accurate, complete and well documented.
Register at 703-792-4540 or [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Tuesday, November 20, 7:00 p.m.

=========================

RELIC INSIDER:

TAKE ADVANTAGE OF FAMILY GATHERINGS

By Don Wilson

During much of September, Bull Run Library was closed for remodeling. We replaced obsolescent fluorescent lighting with energy-efficient LEDs, added some fresh paint, and upgraded the restrooms.

During that break, I took some vacation time in California - both to honor the memory of my brother Tim, who died in July, and to spend time with other family members who gathered there for the occasion. It was energizing to connect with four of my siblings whom I hadn't seen in years. We hiked together in the hills of central California, visited Yosemite and Sequoia National Forest, and attended a performance of Cirque du Soleil (my first). We chatted about mutual experiences and current activities. Photo albums were brought out and promises made to scan their contents so all branches of the family would have copies of our common heritage.

Now that the holiday season is upon us, I urge you to take that occasion to learn from your relatives what they can tell you about your family history. Record the experiences of your older family members. If you are the family expert, find a way to share your knowledge. Find and identify family photos, and do what you can to copy and share them.

Time passes too quickly, and opportunities to share memories and create new experiences are precious. Don't let them pass you by.

NEXT MONTH

My People: A Closer Look at Some of George Washington's Enslaved Workers
Dr. Peter Henriques, Professor of History Emeritus from George Mason University and George Washington Scholar, will explore not only the horrors of slavery, but also illuminate a more complex story than is generally known in this somewhat different approach to the controversial topic of George Washington and slavery. Dr. Henriques will focus on the lives of a handful of Washington's enslaved workers with the goal of fleshing out these fascinating but largely forgotten individuals.
Register at 703-792-4540 or [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Tuesday, December 4, 7:00 p.m.

To read the latest lists of new materials available please click on What's New in RELIC<http://www.pwcgov.org/government/dept/library/pages/relic-news.aspx>.

Unless otherwise stated, all of the preceding programs will take place at Bull Run Regional Library, 8051 Ashton Avenue, Manassas, Virginia. Programs may last from 60 to 90 minutes. You may register for any of these free programs at 703-792-4540 or email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

You may also register online at RELIC Programs<http://www.pwcgov.org/government/dept/library/pages/relic-programs.aspx>.