From:
Gordon Reid Hale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 00:46:37 EDT
In a message dated 08/31/2001 10:26:19 PM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> recognizing the 150,000-175,000 black
> southern men who fought for the United States.

AND the blacks who fought for the Confederacy.

My white grandfather and great grandfather both were Confederate soldiers and
yet my great grandfather was elected to the be sheriff of Greene Co., GA in
1868.  I have copy of a newspaper clipping which denigrates him for this
fact.  He was evidently in league with the "carpetbaggers, scalawags, and
recently freed blacks".  Should I be proud or ashamed of his actions.  I am
PROUD, of his being a Confederate soldier and of his position in the post war
era.

Gordon Hale