From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 17:23:46 -0500
JDS,

         I do not encourage students to view movies I have not reviewed and
unless I can tie the movie into something we are learning. If we can get
transportation, we will be going to the Petersburg Battlefield and learning
about the end of the Civil War from Chris Calkins (I hope, I hope, I hope).
Please remember that my topic this month is firmly Black History, and it
seems that the movie doesn't portray that aspect of the Civil War.

         As to my occupation as teacher, it is the reason I am on this nice
email discussion chain. I am grateful for the opportunity to see various
viewpoints and new perspectives so I can update my teaching. This list has
supplied me with the resources that I have perused recently and are at the
heart of my stepping into the fray at this time. Racial stereotyping is a
very ugly thing. My point was that the effects of continual racial
stereotyping in my experiences in Southside Virginia let to some
interesting observations when I was met some children who were not raised
to "know their place" as most such are in Virginia. Next month, I will be
exploring Women's History, and it seems I will have some women I found in
Black History that I can carry over, so Women's History won't be
one-sided.  I also have Sally Ride and Hillary Clinton to show what
determined and accomplished women can do in our own times.

                                 Anne

At 04:44 PM 2/22/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Anne;
>
>Racial stereotyping is not a pretty thing.  Let's try to be rational and
>objective on such a nice email discussion chain like this.  I am sure you are
>a wonderful mentor for your students, but I don't recall that being any part
>of this discussion.
>
>Perhaps you should encourage your students to attend Gods and Generals and
>learn some Civil War history.  I am sure it would be a great benefit to them.
>
>JDS
>
>To subscribe, change options, or unsubscribe, please see the instructions
>at http://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-hist.html

Anne Pemberton

http://www.erols.com/stevepem
http://www.educationalsynthesis.org