From:
Kevin Gutzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2008 23:38:18 -0400
Herbert Barger has no way of establishing that James Callender was lying,
only that he said something that was untrue.  Even after having it pointed
out to him that not all untrue statements are lies, Barger continues to say
that Callender lied -- without any ground whatsoever to conclude that
Callender intentionally stated an untruth with the intention of having
someone believe him.  Barger seems, then, to be an untrustworthy evaluator
of Callender's account.

Kevin Gutzman

Nancy,

You have a great handle on the issue and you state it well. The
Jefferson-Hemings issue started as a James Callender Campaign Lie that
was proved just that by DNA.....NO match between TJ and Tom Woodson.
Fawn Brodie came along with her weird analysis and told the Eston
relatives that why should they cling to the long held belief that their
ancestor was "a Jefferson uncle", meaning Randolph Jefferson WHEN they
could claim THOMAS himself and since then this is what we have. They
even threw Fawn Brodie out of her LDS Church for degrading and painting
their founder in a bad light.........just as a similar approach of TJ.
But in the Jefferson case we have people WILLING to receive the UPGRADE
in brothers to enhance their image, in my opinion.

Your portrayal of Mr. Jefferson as "SCUM" pretty well enlightens your
readers as to your thoughts and beliefs.

Herb Barger
Jefferson Family Historian