From:
Louise Bernikow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 14:30:24 EST
In a message dated 1/3/06 1:25:46 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> From the previews, it is a perpetuation of the John Smith-Pocahontas
> "romance" which never happened...she was a child and there are indications
> that
> John Smith made up the story to make himself look like a hero!  I direct
> interested

From beginning to end, it's a dumb distortion of everything we know.
Farrel/smith is in his early 20's! The "naturals" attack j-towne fort with pocahontas
inside. they have bizarre body/face paint, unlike any pics i've ever seen. the
"maids" who come-glimpsed mostly in the background-are middle-aged.
pocahontas has a kind of english nanny (not the clergy) turning her into an english
lass. she is received at court by king and queen. and on and on. i can't imagine
why malick has done this- the history is so much more interesting, the
story/characters here have no responses we can read (except for the mooning love
story and I think p. looks polynesian, not native am. ) so there is no insight, no
real emotion, no understanding.
weren't there people on this list who worked as historical consultants on the
film? would love to hear from them.
it does look filmed at the Jamestown restoration. true?
Louise Bernikow