From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 08:18:03 -0500
...brings to mind, with a smile, what we discussed here a few months
ago about how Southerners will often lay on the drawl and the dumb
act for the 'benefit' of visiting northern brethren. I once read an
account by a surviving Kamikaze pilot, he spoke of how they would get
back at especially obnoxious officers by doing things like rubbing
their dandruff into the officers' rice before delivering it to their
table. And there is the well-known "spitting into a customer's food."
People have ways of practicing subterfuge and sabotage to get back at
those who they feel are treating them unjustly. I suppose this
interviewing would be doubly hard for a slave who, in his/her youth,
lived a life where they had been taught to please others, it kept
their lives as pleasant as they could be by doing this; it no doubt
became second-nature after awhile, and was probably still very much a
factor in these slave interviews. As you say, the truth probably lies
in between the rosy and the propaganda accounts.

Nancy

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone