From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 18:55:13 -0400
Oh now we're parsing words.  No, the constitution is not a treaty.
It WAS a compact between several states.  The compact being made on
the notion of self-governance and popular sovereignty.  Nobody
seriously questioned the Constitutionality of the right of secession,
just some people didn't like it and so made up new notions like "a
higher law" and "perpetual union."