From:
Jon Kukla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 14:04:05 -0500
Lisa,
  Thank you very much. All of us are interested in working from the most
accurate available texts, so your comments below are very useful to us
all. The family letters texts are a wonderful resource. Again thank you.

Jon Kukla

PS Candor demands mention of the fact that in my statement of 'editorial
policy' for handling Jefferson texts in _A Wilderness So Immense_, I
alerted readers to the fact that I was consistently rendering TJ's
customary "it's" as "its" (just as I decided to spell Mississippi
correctly regardless of how imaginatively various 18th- and 19th-century
writers rendered it in their letters).  Andrew Burstein once told me that
he regarded Ellen Coolidge as the grandchild most similar to Jefferson in
personality - perhaps in spelling habits, too.