From:
"w. cary anderson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 18:19:27 -0500
Shaped note singing is still around.  Hymnals in some of the churches here
in Arkansas still have them.  I could play the piano easier using shape
notes than the round notes; however, can't do either.  I remember attending
a shape note singing school back in the early 1950s in Eastern Arkansas.
That didn't take either.  There are still gospel singing conventions in some
of the more rural counties that use shape note song books.  Tonight, a four
day gospel sing begins in honor of Albert Brumley in an 11,000 seat Barnhill
Fieldhouse in Fayetteville, Arkansas.  Albert Brumley published a number of
song books using shape notes only.

Cary Anderson