Date:
Mon, 21 May 2007 20:33:44 -0400
I was puzzled when I read Lyle Browning's comment.  After all, no one here is denying (or "negating," as he put it) that there was a brutal struggle in early Virginia between British colonists and native peoples.  Nor is anyone here denying (or "negating") that the outcome of that struggle was the domination of those surviving native peoples by the colonists and the imperial British officials who supported and organized them.  To the extent that the commemoration in Jamestown denies these things, it has been condemned by professional historians and archealogists.

So just precisely who is guilty of producing "PC history" at the expense of the presumably more valuable and truthful "unrevised" and authentic original?

I guess I am just not sure what Browning's point is?

All best,
Kevin

Kevin R. Hardwick, Ph.D.
Department of History