Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2005 20:42:21 -0500
In my dotage, I have learned to trust nothing to memory, but I recollect
that there may be a way to settle directly the question of Jefferson's
paternity of children in the Heming's line. Please double-underline the
word "may."

A few years ago, if my gray cells serve, there were news accounts of a
middle-school student who, on a field trip to Monticello, purloined a
ring containing strands of Jefferson's hair. Perhaps it was a mourning
ring. In any case, the ring was returned, and no harm done except to the
student's reputation, history grade, and "permanent record." I'm curious
to know just who keeps everyone's "permanent record," but I digress.

Presuming the hair is authentically Jefferson's--perhaps someone from
Monticello is in a position to address that very large presumption--the
strands contain something of his DNA. Not mitochondrial DNA from a
descendant, but a full set of Jefferson's twenty-three sets of
chromosomes with their DNA, preserved, one hopes, and possibly capable
of extraction without unjustifiable damage to the artifact. Or maybe
not. I suppose it depends on the medium and method used to hold the hair
in the setting.

My understanding is that the answer to the question of the DNA tests
conducted so far turns on the secondary source of the Jefferson family
DNA used. Supposing that I am not mistaken about that, and please don't
be shy to tell me if I am, it may be that a primary source of his DNA is
within reach of, at least, investigation.

If you are reminded of the premise of Michael Criton's "Jurassic
Park"--dinosaur DNA preserved in a mosquito trapped in fossil tree
sap--I confess that I am, too, and as quick to laugh as anyone at the
thought of what might be called  "Jefferson In Amber." Then again,
Criton's preservation premise is certified scientific--though not, of
course, the part about making new dinosaurs from old acids. The New York
Times earlier this year reported the partial extraction of Neanderthal
DNA from bones in a German museum or university. The DNA in the
Monticello ring should be somewhat younger than a Neanderthal's--perhaps
just 180 years old next July.

Wouldn't it be well if by then, and in the interest's of satisfying
people on all sides of the controversy, a stop could be put to the debate?

Dennis Montgomery
Williamsburg