From:
"Barbara Vines Little, CG" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2004 12:04:52 -0500
It is my understanding that Surry County has a number of these papers;
you may wish to contact the historical society there for more specific
information. In addition, John Hopewell, in footnote in "Free Negroes in
Cumberland county, 1837--9" _Magazine of Virginia Genealogy_ 40(2002:249
notes that there are a number of these certificates in the Free Negro
and slave Papers of Cumberland County court records at LVA.

Barbara Vines Little, CG
PO Box 1273
Orange, VA 22960
540-832-3473 (evenings)

CG and Certified Genealogist are service marks of the Board for
Certification of Genealogists,® used under license by the
board-certified associates who meet genealogical competency standards
prescribed for those programs.