From:
Sam Treynor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:15:43 -0500
Military occupation may be the normal fate of conquered countries, but that
does not make it "legal and appropriate", especially if the occupying forces
are the perpetrators of a war of aggression.  This would apply, for example,
to the Roman occupation of Britain, or the British occupation of India.
Whether it applies to the Southern Reconstruction depends on whether the
South had a right to secede.

The debate over whether there was a constitutional right to secede has a
long history and appears to me to be inconclusive.  But we might want to
consider whether there is a moral right to secede.  The right of the people
of a particular geographical territory to exercise self-determination is
frequently asserted (Bosnia and Kosovo) and seems to be a reasonable
corollary to the idea of democratic government.

Sam Treynor