Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 19:00:32 EST
Most text books in the 50's and 60's stated that the CW was fought to free
the slaves or the one I had did. That's a post war idea.....most Union
soldiers enlisted (forgetting the local ties and the rush for the adventure
and pere pressure) not to free the slave but to save the union.

 I'm trying to remember how the thread got started....wasn't it on why they
fought?  In the beginning it wasn't to free the slaves for the northern
soldiers ...the same as it wasn't to keep the slaves....at the start of the
war the common northern soldier fought because his friend went or he had a
belief in keeping the Union whole not the free the slaves.....Southern fought
for the same reasons because his friends went off to war or he felt he had to
defend his state.  Yes, I'm sure there were parties in the North that went of
the war to free the slave just as there were most likely Southerners who
fought to keep their way of life, which included slaves......