From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2007 14:36:45 -0500
When I was a kid growing up in Richmond in the '50s, a lot of people
had a few backyard chickens. I think it's now illegal to keep such
"farm animals" in the city. In our neighborhood, Woodland Heights (in
south Richmond), which was mostly built as a streetcar suburb in the
1920s, the old houses had cherry, apple and pear trees, black walnut
trees, and an abundant grape arbor; neighbors shared the bounty with
other neighbors. We'd gather a few bags full of black walnuts, spread
them under the back porch to dry, and before holiday baking season
sit with a hammer and knock off the outer husks and the hard shell,
to get the nutmeat for baking. In summer we'd have a dishpan full of
cherries on the back porch, washing them so Mama could make pies, and
of course eating plenty, too. Sitting under the shade of the backyard
maple tree, shelling fresh butter beans and talking. So even though
it was very much in the "city", it was in a way a rural lifestyle,
too. My grandparents lived in Chesterfield County, and had a small
vegetable garden, in the summer we kids would be out there picking
butter beans, blackberries, various melons, squash, cucumbers,
tomatoes, corn, etc. When you grow up with fresh food, the horrid
stuff in the grocery stores today can never compare. Nothing better
than fresh corn, picked and brought into the house and plopped
directly into boiling water. Fresh kale, after a first light frost-
I'd just pick it and eat it raw. Or ripe tomatoes, still warm from
the sun.

Out here in rural Orange County there are still older folks who have
their vegetable gardens. Then one day you no longer see them out
there, they must have died, and no one else continues the garden.
Sad. One thing about gardening, no matter if it's for food or
flowers, it makes you generous. Sharing your extra tomatoes or giving
away cuttings of a favorite flower, it's a pleasant way to look at
the world.

Nancy

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone