From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2006 06:19:35 -0400
Hi Emily,

Thanks for the note.  You win the long distance award.  But then is that not
the way it always is.... the fartherest are the first to respond.

No charge for any of it.  I shall send the full band arrangement which has a
CD inside.  The whole march may be a bit challenging for a young band, but
certainly can be played by a high school band, or one of those wonderful
town bands that the English have.  To whet your appetite, I have attached a
short MP3 clip of the trio.  You gotta admit that song was going to go
places.

I assume the address which you gave was yours and so I'll just mail it
directly to you for presentation to the band director.

No charge for anything.  This is EXACTLY the kind of sharing and celebrating
our Jamestowne heritage that I am hoping for.

Good luck on your research.  My Jordan ancestors came to Jamestowne in 1624,
although one Jordan came about 1608, but we cannot trace back to him.  My
Cabell ancestors were late comers -- did not arrive until 1723.  Came from
the Warminster/Frome area of England.

Please keep your eyes (and ears) open for any signs of trumpet fanfares from
the Henry VIII through 1607 time.  We know they were played, but I cannot
find anybody who can show me any of them.  Shakespeare also had trumpets at
his plays, but so far I have had no luck finding any of those.  The good
news is that the trumpets of the time were played mostly like bugles.  They
had no valves, so a player could only get about 5 solid notes from them.  So
there is only somuch you can do with  CGCEG!

Randy Cabell
Boyce, VA.