From:
Rosanna Bencoach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2006 21:46:33 -0400
To Eric's mention of Earl Hamner's works, I would add a television show of Earl's that was ALMOST set in Virginia.

When he conceived of "Falcon Crest," Earl was thinking about his mother's ancestors, Italian immigrants who settled in Virginia in 1773 to establish a wine and olive industry.  Their employer, Fillippo Mazzei, quickly became caught up in the idea of revolution and left Virginia early in the war to try to raise financial support in Europe for the cause.  He was captured and later released, but never returned to Virginia.  Meanwhile, several of the Italians (including Earl & my shared ancestor, Antonio Giannini and his brother-in-law, Francesco Modena) went to work at Monticello for Mazzei's nearest neighbor.  A captured General rented out the estate and the story goes that within one week his horses had trampled out the work of three years. Still, never one to give up, early the next spring Jefferson sent the Italians back over to the property to see what could be salvaged and transplanted at Monticello!  In recent years, Jefferson Vineyards was established on the site of the Mazzei's original vineyard.

So, Earl Hamner envisioned a drama about a family of modern-day Virginia winemakers.  At the very first Virginia Festival of American Film in Charlottesville, I recall him being asked, by a fan using an incredulous tone, "what happened with 'Falcon Crest'?"  Well, the television executives (apparently not familiar with Virginia wine) moved the setting from Virginia to California. And then they hired Jane Wyman.  Case closed.  "Falcon Crest" turned from family drama to nighttime soap.

But, it was almost set in Virginia!

Rosanna Bencoach
Richmond

--------