From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2008 14:01:43 -0500
In-depth coverage of the African continent side of the slave
procurement issue has been in print in book and article form for
decades. Black Africans captured other Black Africans either as a
result of warfare and as a result of intentional forays to do so. In
addition to these, Arab slave traders (ethnic black and caucasian)
actively sought Africans for their economic gain. Europeans mainly
provided what would be termed middlemen services. Undoubtedly there
were some Europeans who actively hunted Africans. The fortresses that
were the final holding areas and distribution areas on the coasts were
run by Europeans and Arabs with the complicity of black Africans. I
would term the above as historical facts, writ broadly.

The spin that has been put on it is what muddies the waters. There is
the 20th century "guilt trip" laid on Americans who bought Africans
and used them in involuntary servitude, or slavery, or whatever term
du jour you pick. Then there were the "Lost Cause" apologists who
brought in the issue that Africans were complicit with the implicit
argument that not just white folks did it, but black folks as well so
it really wasn't as bad as northern white folks tried to make it out
to be (again broadly writ). It is only of late that the issue of
Muslim complicity has been brought into the popular consciousness.
That in turn is muddied by unreconstructed folks who see endless irony
in the adoption of the Muslim faith by African-Americans who were not
aware of the Arab trafficking in slaves that continues to the present.

Slavery was a mess, and it's legacy is still a mess and nothing
excuses it. Trying to live with the consequences is the part that we
now must work to accommodate.

Lyle Browning