From:
Basil Forest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 07:16:30 EST
Do we really want to get into the reason for the Union invasion of the
South?  When Lincoln called for 75,000 men from the militias of  various states
(including Virginia) to invade the South, there wasn't a  hint of freeing the
slaves in his proclamation.  In fact, I am pretty sure  he wouldn't be caught
dead suggesting that was the reason for his action,  because he didn't support
such an action at the time.

By the way, in calling out the militias of the states to put down the
"insurrection" in the South, Lincoln once again was using powers he did not have
under the Constitution.  Article 1, Section 8 clearly provides that the
Congress has the sole power "To provide for calling forth the  Militia to execute the
Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel  Invasions."  Once again,
rather than defending the Constitution he was  subverting it for his own aims.

And don't give me the argument that the exigencies of the situation  required
Lincoln to act without getting the approval of the Congress.  When  the
Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, President Roosevelt called Congress into  session the
next day and asked them to declare war, as was his Constitutional  duty.
Lincoln repeatedly didn't bother about the niceties of the  Constitution he swore
to uphold and defend.