From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2007 08:22:12 -0500
Brent,

I already had a link to Byrd from the LVA site (and will check to see if
there is now more information on him).

What concerns me is that it is not possible to go to the state site and get
information on past governors. There is a page that lists the past governors
but it is not interactive and leads to no futher information on the past
governors than their time in office.

I checked pretty thoroughtly on the link to "history" on the official state
site, and it does not lead to information on past governors.

Seems to me that the information on past governors, even if minimal, on the
official site of the state government, should be a basic that is included on
the state site. Children are being taught to pay attention to where
information comes from on the web, and it should be a responsibility of the
state webmaster to see that such information is included on the state's site
to facilitate research not only by Virginia students, but also students from
other states.

Perhaps there need to be conventions developed as to the basic provided on a
state's official site and perhaps Virginia could lead the way. Certainly
brief biographical sketches of past governors should be part of what a state
provides. This is perhaps more true of Virginia, whose history delves deeply
into the colonial era than with states that have shorter histories.

Brent, if you can suggest who the webmaster is for the state or anyone else
with whom I can take up this issue, I would be most grateful.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert
http://www.educationalsynthesis.org