From:
Tom Apple <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2007 14:54:07 -0230
On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 09:58:42 -0700, Linda Threadgill wrote

> I am getting very tired of the on going racist
> arguments.

I'm sorry, but I'm kind of tired of hearing people throw out accusations of
racism when they read something with which they don't agree.

Racism by definition is where someone advocates the superiority of one race
over another. I've not seen that in the recent discussions.

Now you may characterize some comments as racially insensitve, but that
characterization is largely a matter of opinion. Racism it is not. I feel
pretty confident that no one on this list intends to offend the others in a
discussion.

You have some people debating using the merits of their knowledge and facts
gleaned from research and some who bring emotionalized opinion as their
argument. That is the terrain all on this list must negotiate. Sometimes the
exchanges become heated and lean toward flaming particular people on the list
which a a bit distasteful. However if someone does put forward an idea,
statement, whatever that you don't like, there is ample opportunity to
challenge it with your own facts.

I'm sure that many on this list can trot out impressive geneaological and/or
academic pedigrees to bolster their viewpoints, but the wonderful thing about
this list is that we're all equals.

In our country today their are people working to limit public discussion of
various viewpoints because they don't like them. Something that should be an
anathema to us all. The last thing we need on this list or any other public
arena of discourse is thought-police limiting what viewpoints can be
expressed. We should be able to police ourselves to keep the discourse civil.

Regards,

Tom A.