From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 15:47:33 -0700
Well said, and the reason  many of us subscribe to both lists.

--Joanne

gcg <[log in to unmask]> wrote: There are those of us who are genealogists and avid, (sometimes rabid),
amateur historians. The only difference is one is family history and gossip
and the other is other persons history and gossip.

With the celebration of the 400 years of the founding of the first permanent
English settlement in the "New World," (personally I hate that term), the
intertwineness of genealogy research and history takes on a significant
aspect. This is especially true, when we consider that most of the other
land grants in the "New World" by the British monarchy were for religious
freedom, or lessening the burden of the penal system on the Royal purses
whereas, Virginia  seemed to be formed on a purely financial and economic
adventure.