Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2009 11:35:32 -0500
A fascinating question. Most writers assume that the name was given by Sir
Walter Ralegh. He writes during his imprisonment that the land claimed by
the English was called Virginia. According to the account in Virginia the
Old Dominion by Matthew Page Andrews, an expedition was organized by Walter
Ralegh and placed under the command of Captains Arthur Barlow Marleau and
Philip Amadas, which explored Cape Hatteras in July 1584. They named
Roanoke Island, but after their report in London, “Elizabeth herself became
the ‘princely godmother’ for the country at large and called it Virginia,
in honor of herself as the Virgin Queen.” Andrew cites as authority The
Historie of Travaile into Virginia Britannia (R. H. Major, ed) by William
Strachey. Strachey took his source from Hakluyt Society Publications, No 6
(London 1849), page 140.

I am assuming the reference is to Richard Hakluyt, who was a compatriot of
Walter Ralegh and active in the organization of the early Ralegh voyages.
If the Hakluyt Society Publications could be referenced, perhaps more
details might indicate the basis of Hakluyt’s attribution directly to
Elizabeth.

The Literary Encyclopedia references Hakluyt’s publications on the early
voyages as
Divers Voyages (1582), Principal Navigations, Voyages, and Discoveries of
the English Nation (1589), and its second edition, much enlarged, The
Principal Navigations, Voiages, Traffiques and Discoueries of the English
Nation (in three volumes, 1598, 1599, 1600). It is probable that the
Hakluyt Society Publications were a republication of the earlier volumes.

Richard E. Dixon