From:
Melinda Skinner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:49:04 +0000
I am embarrassed to say that my own daughter who is an actress can fool any Brit with her British accents but has lost her own Virginia accent and now a hard tiime doing a southern accent.  She was born and raised in Richmond (with a Scottish dad) but-- like many of her generation-- has a more indistinguishable accent.  She once asked me to send a tape of my mother when she had an audition for a part that required a southern voice.  I couldn't believe that she was having such a hard time getting it back.
On another note, when working with performers I have noticed that British actors can often do a southern accent better than non-southern American actors; and, conversely, southern actors have an easier time with British accents.  Interesting.

--
Melinda C. P. Skinner
Writer and Wonderer

From: Diane Ethridge <[log in to unmask]>