From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2007 06:29:25 -0400
Very interesting list of pre-reqs, and just to show you that "nothing is
really new", the list is almost identical to one that a faculty member at
the UVa GSBA gave some 50 years ago when some of the grad students asked
about starting a magazine.

I have had no experience with web hosting, or even reading periodicals on
web sites.

Our former church (we moved -- did not resign) has just started sending its
weekly newsletter via EMail.  Of course it is much smaller than an issue of
the cavalcade, yet I am far more inclined to read it than I would be to go
to a web site and page through a big document.  Idea:  Instead of
replicating the old multi-page cavalcade, how about a skinnier one with
shorter articles?  Have more stuff on the web site if you wish.

re size, If you do anything with EMail attachments, you have to consider
size of the file.  I have just spent two weeks trying to receive minutes of
meetings which apparently got blocked by some EMail server because of the
size of the attachments.  I don't know the max, butI am told that 10M is the
cutoff point for lotsa servers.

As many of you know, I am in the midst of digitizing Cabell history, and
probably will be for the rest of my life.  So how about digitizing some of
the articles from theold cavalcades?  Given some standards, and a bit of
quality control, I bet there are a lot of folks like me out there in VA-HIST
land who would volunteer to do that.  I would like to start with the article
on Will Ruebush and the 116th Infantry Band.

Randy Cabell