From:
Herbert Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Mar 2009 13:59:19 -0500
Anne,

I don't know where you get the impression "those who study history and
conclude Jefferson probably fathered those kids" is a correct statement. Of
course historians and laypersons have their individual beliefs and that is
fine, BUT I am pretty well familiar with those "historians" you are
referencing and could name them. They DO NOT know any facts about the DNA
tests, they are SLAVERY EXPERTS and not authorities on the study.......I
AM....I was there and I know who skewed the DNA test, the interpretations
and who wrote the TJ books and who advised them in their research. It is not
a pretty picture ladies and gentlemen.....YOU ARE BEING CONNED!

Your statement that I wished TJ be placed on a pedestal.....is absolutely a
wrong assessment. If YOU were being maligned by an AGENDA, as TJ is, and I
was in a position to know for a fact that your position is correct by
careful research, I would protect YOU as I have TJ. Who he was and what my
mission is COMPLETELY based upon honesty, fair play and a level playing
field. He isn't getting it and the public is all the worse of for it. I KNOW
who the perpetrators are and WHY they are doing it and I ask the public to
react to all these "glorious" claims of some recent authors, some on this
list, who "spout" much the same information. An excellent book, Down from
the Mountain, Oral History of the Hemings Family by Judith P. Justus, was
already out when Dr Foster started the tests and I recommended he contact
her and get leads.......he did, and she visited his home twice. He knew well
from her book that she had covered the meeting between two Eston descendants
in NY and Fawn Brodie who had suggested they DROP their thoughts about being
descended from "a Jefferson uncle or nephew" as Eston's descendants had
always believed and NOW state that it was Thomas HIMSELF, a much better
choice of ancestors in some eyes I suppose. The book also listed a note
about a William Hemings, son of Madison BUT Dr Foster DID NOT choose to
testy him in a grave in Levenworth, Kansas........WHY? In addition to John
Weeks Jefferson (Eston descendant), he could have tested Madison's male
heir, thus we would have DNA proof that the two brothers shared the same
father....HE DID NOT TEST HIM! Some time later I mentioned this to Hemings
descendants and at first some agreed orally for the test but after notifying
Dan Jordan, Monticello President of this important find, they soon refused
to file official papers that I had furnished. Dan Jordan advised me, "don't
pressure them." Naturally I didn't or wouldn't but it would add to the
controversy........what are they afraid of? I well know and discussed it
with their spokesperson but that will remain unpublished for the time being.

Anne, just on one point alone.....will you agree that if you test a KNOWN
carrier of the Jefferson DNA, as his family has long claimed, is it not
reasonable to assume that a match will occur? Refusing to tell a scientific
journal of your "contrived" selection without informing the publication is
most disturbing and unprofessional.....what say you?

Herb Barger
Jefferson Family Historian
Assistant to Dr Foster on DNA Study

Herbert,

I think it quite appropriate to show what is happening in that big wide
audience of people who could be "fooled" by those who study history and
conclude Jefferson probably fathered those kids,  The big wide audience is
not putting Jefferson on the pedestal you are insisting he belongs on.
Remember that Jefferson also said that the mix of white blood in with the
African resulted in a bring superior to the African. (Don't have the exact
quote handy!).

What the story is lacking in absolute "proof" is overrun with likelihoods,
probabilities, possibilities, and it could have beens.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert
http://www.educationalsynthesis.org