From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2007 16:02:55 -0700
That has already been debated and accepted. The problem in many Americans
minds is that the word slavery translates into Africans. Muslims had a
thriving slave trade in Europeans, and anyone else who was not part of
Islam.  Most cultures had some form of servitude, but nothing to the degree
of America. Other than the Muslims enslaving anyone who was not part of
Islam, no culture had slaves for life. There were no references to God
ordaining Africans to be slaves for Europeans, even in Muslim society (which
was and is Multi-racial).

That still does not relieve Europeans of responsibility when they were major
players in the trade. After all they referred to themselves as Christians
and Civilized, and there was nothing Christian like, nor civilized about
slavery.

Anita

>From: James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Madison's slaves (and black descendants?)
>Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 17:13:28 -0400
>
>Africans and Muslims were part of a worldwide consensus that viewed
>slavery as perfectly normal and morally acceptable. And for slave
>merchants a great way to make a living. One that was only ended by  the
>intervention of Europeans and North Americans during the 19th and  20th
>centuries. It should also be noted that Indians (both in India  and the
>Americas) practiced slavery.
>

>James Brothers, RPA
>

>On Jun 14, 2007, at 12:50, Anita Wills wrote:
>
>>This started out as a discussion of Madisons slaves, and evolved  into
>>Islam enslaving Africans, and Africans enslaving Africans. My  question is
>>what did Africa and Islam have to do with Europeans  enslaving Indians? I
>>am bringing the question back to Virginia, and  the question is still out
>>there.
>>
>>Anita

Live Hotmail.