From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 02:33:31 GMT
I wrote a book, Notes And Documents of Free Persons of Color (see link
at bottom of message). Many of the libraries in Virginia now carry my
book, including the University of Virginia, and the Library of
Virgina. You can purchase a copy or do an inter library loan. The book
is a chronicle of the lives of my ancestors, who were Free Persons of
Color in Colonial Virginia. The fpc designation, was a nice way of
saying they were Tri racial, white/African/Native.

My Pinn ancestors moved from Lancaster to Amherst County just prior to
the Revolutionary War. I believe they were moving to avoid the laws
that the Virginia legislature, and churches were passing. In 1710, my
ancestors are living in Northumberland County, and members of Wicomico
Parish Church. However, Rawley Pinn, my direct ancestor, founded a
Baptist Church in Lexington Parish (Amherst County). In 1783, he was
designated white, and in 1785 Mulatto. We know that Rawley was Native
(Yeocomico), and not Mulatto or white. Until 1835, Rawley's
descendants were listed as Mulatto. In 1834 the descendants were
required to register as Free Negroes. That is around the time that my
ancestor left and settled in Fredericksburg.

Anita

Order Sites for Notes And Documents of Free Persons of Color - Barnes
& Noble: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?
userid=9v5Ox3pAni&isbn=1411603338&itm=1

LEBOUDIN INFORMATION SITE:
http://www.orgsites.com/ca/leboudinpub/

-- Jurretta Heckscher <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
(Sorry--the link to the publisher's description of the Rothman book
that I just sent was incomplete; it should be
http://www.loc.gov/catdir/description/unc041/2002007568.html  ).

On Sep 5, 2006, at 11:33 PM, Jurretta Heckscher wrote:

> The best place to start is Joshua D. Rothman, Notorious in the
> Neighborhood: Sex and Families across the Color Line in Virginia,
> 1787-1861 (Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 2003;
> Library of Congress call number  HQ1031 .R695 2003).  The publisher's
> description is here:
> http://www.loc.gov/catdir/description/unc041/2002007568.htm  --and an
> H-Net review is here:   http://www.h-net.org/review/hrev-a0d1n8-aa
>
> --Jurretta Heckscher
>

> On Sep 5, 2006, at 5:58 PM, Sally Phillips wrote:
>
>> Would it be fair to say that residents of Cumberland County,
Virginia,
>> and
>> other counties well west of the fall line, in the 50 or so years
>> following
>> the Revolution, would be more independent-minded, more free-
spirited,
>> less
>> bound to the 100-year-old traditions of the more easterly
counties?  I
>> am
>> trying not to use the word "liberal" as it is used today, because I
>> don't
>> know what "liberal" meant in 1800.  But that is what I'm getting at.
>> I am
>> researching an inter-racial family where the father/owner and the
>> mother/slave and the offspring lived publicly as a family.  As well
as
>> can tell from the records, they seem to have been at least
tolerated.
>> They appear to have functioned well in the community.  Although
>> Cumberland
>> County was far from the frontier in 1800-1825, had it been settled
by
>> frontier-seekers who simply didn't care that much about traditions?
>> Is
>> there a book that deals with this subject?

To subscribe, change options, or unsubscribe, please see the
instructions