Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 06:38:55 EST
I am seeking information on the depth of the upper Chickahominy in the mid
17th century.  For instance, was this river navigable by 17th century ships
as far west as the Black Creek and Clopton's Swamp area?  During this period,
ocean going vessels were able to sail as far west as Aylett on the Mattapony,
thereby promoting settlement of the upper Mattapony. The Black
Creek/Clopton's Swamp area of the Chickahominy is on approximately the same
longitude.

Also, how accessible was/is Henrico from the Black Creek/Clopton's Swamp area
of New Kent?  I understand that some steep bluffs rise on the Henrico side;
but is this true in all areas in the upper Chickahominy, or just around
Chickahominy Bluff area which became famous during the Civil War?  There are
a couple of old bridge sites in the area, such as Bottoms Bridge; and an
Ordinary was in operation on the New Kent side, perhaps as early as 1680.

It seems that a fairly large early community grew up in this area, so it
seems equally likely that it may have been an early trading center for the
back areas of New Kent and Henrico in the early years of the colony.

I will appreciate any assistance others may be able to provide.

Joyce Browning
Fairfax County, Virginia