From:
Jurretta Heckscher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:58:28 -0400
Good points, Henry--and good to have you back!

It seems to me that the post-DNA-test clincher in this hydra-like
debate (which I hesitate to mention for fear of causing another head
to sprout, one way or the other) is the fact that yes, other
Jeffersons COULD have been Hemings's lover.

But there is no contemporary evidence that any other Jefferson WAS.

Therefore, if you combine
(1) the contemporaneous historical evidence--i.e., the testimony from
those alive and in the vicinity during Hemings's childbearing years--
with
(2) the new scientific (DNA) evidence,
the only candidate for paternity who fits both sets of data is TJ.

For myself and for many of us, I suspect, that really does settle the
logic of the matter, and hence the presumptive historical facts,
pending the (unlikely) emergence of additional contemporaneous
historical material.

One might think it high time to redirect the zeal, resourcefulness,
minutia-mindedness, and energy that this matter has elicited toward
some other problem of Virginia history, or American history, or world
history, or even Jeffersonian history, instead.  But of course, the
relentless resilience of the debate is an interesting subject of
history in its own right, down to and including the present, as Ed
Ayers and Scot French demonstrated to us some years ago.

--Jurretta, promising to stomp on all hydra heads on her way out