Date:
Wed, 7 May 2008 13:55:12 -0400
With respect to the issues on the Loving case,  I queried the appellate
attorney. My post to him:

Phil

There is a history discussion group (VA-HIST) on the Internet operated by
the Library of Virginia. At present, there is a dispute about the Loving
case in two respects: One, whether the case was funded by the NAACP, and
two, whether the arrest was legitimate or was staged to create a test case.
If you would like to comment on this I will post your comments (without
alteration) to the list. Hope all is well with you.

Dick Dixon

His response:

Dick--The NAACP in no way funded or assisted in the Loving case, other than
Bob Carter did file an amicus brief in the US Supreme Court on behalf of
the NAACP.  The case was funded solely by the ACLU, which paid out of
pocket costs.  Bernie Cohen and I volunteered all of our time without
payment.

As far as some allegation that the case was staged to create a test case,
that is totally incorrect.  The Lovings were arrested, prosecuted and
convicted of felonies years before we got involved in any legal challenge.

Phil Hirschkop

Richard E. Dixon
Editor, Jefferson Notes
Thomas Jefferson Heritage Society