From:
Jim Glanville <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2010 13:50:47 -0400
Fellow List Members:

This message is a follow-up to my recent comments on the 1772
boundary of Fincastle County shown in the Virginia chapter of the
"Atlas of Historical County Boundaries" in which I discussed the
question of where ran that boundary line in present-day Montgomery County.

Mary Kegley pointed out in a private email message that "Culbertsons
(also Crumps) Bottom as being presently located in Summers County,
WV," is mentioned in David Johnston's "Middle New River Settlements,"
(1908: 12), where Johnston says that Christopher Gist crossed the New
River at Culbertsons in 1750-51.

Likewise helpful was Karen Stuart's suggestion posted to this list to
use the USGS Geographic Names Information System database at
http://geonames.usgs.gov/domestic/. After some experimentation with
input spelling, that site also yielded Crump's Bottom. The full USGS
citation is copied to Wiki under the Crump's Bottom entry which says
in part "Crumps Bottom was settled in 1753 by Andrew Culbertson, the
first English settler in the present Summers County. He established a
working plantation with a lavish home."

Crump's Bottom is on the New River about ten miles north of the
present Glen Lyn power plant.

 From on-line maps I infer that what in 1772 was called "Culbertsons
creek" is today known as "Indian Creek."

Drawing a straight line on a map from Crump's Bottom to Luster's Gate
(where the Catawba Road crosses from the Roanoke to New River
drainage, as Fincastle County was defined), places William Preston's
Smithfield Plantation about 3.3 miles over the line into Fincastle
County from Botetourt County.

Preston's influence in Williamsburg in 1772 was apparently sufficient
to make as convenient as possible his move from Greenfield in
Botetourt County to the new county where he was to take up offices
with their concomitant emoluments.

Jim Glanville
Blacksburg