From:
Excalibur131 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2007 00:05:20 -0500
This discussion would not be taking place if the sentence had been worded
thus:

A lot of black folks are as interested in their "heritage" as are white
folks.

-or-

A lot of African-Americans are as interested in their "heritage" as are
White-Americans or European-Americans or some other phrase.

But the sentence wasn't worded either way and therein lies the rub. The
political incorrectness comes from the application of a double-standard. The
sentence, as worded, holds African-Americans to a higher standard, some
would say much higher standard, than white folks. I'm not offended by either
of the terms - "African-Americans" or "white folks" - but let's hold the
terms to the same standard.

Tom
Eastern Shore & More Forum
http://www.easternshoremore.com/forum/