Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2008 17:09:41 -0500
Lyle--

If time permits (its the silly season here at JMU right now, and I am overwhelmed with exams and papers) I will expand my comments to your thoughtful and thought-provoking post.  For right now though:  my commentary on early 20th century agricultural technology, and the disparate timing of its adaption in the United States, and the importance of federal government policy in ending share-cropping--draws heavily from the work of Smithsonian technological historian Pete Daniel, and in particular his book BREAKING THE LAND:  THE TRANSFORMATION OF COTTON, TOBACCO, AND RICE CULTURES SINCE 1880 (University of Illinois, 1985).  Daniel's argument is nuanced--much more so than my summary suggested.  Its a very fine piece of historical work--just my .02, but it might well repay the work of tracking it down.

All best,
Kevin