From:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 13:45:10 -0400
As a Virginia native, I personally have no problem with leaving the
johnny-come-lately Pilgrims out...

But more seriously, I was struck by the depiction of some of the changes
wrought by this new political correctness, in particular, the decision to
call early American wars (presumably the wars against the native peoples
like the Pequot War, King Philip's War?) "conflicts".  I thought the
politically-correct wanted them to be labelled as something connoting
genocide or exterminationism.  What do these ever-shifting winds of
nomenclature tell us about our times?

David Kiracofe